Carolyn's Corner: OHH What a life!

 I'm very excited to share some wonderful words by my sister-in-law Carolyn. I asked her to guest blog for us once a month to give a stay at home mom's perspective on life with the kids. After reading this post that she sent me, I could not stop crying for 20 minutes. My husband even asked me if I was okay! It was such a window into her life the last year that I felt overwhelmed and inspired. I'm so thankful for her and our relationship! Jump right into to Carolyn's Corner and enjoy....

{Carolyn, Jackson Matthew on left, Colton James on right}

 When Tritia first asked me to guest write on her blog, I thought to myself.. what could I possibly say that others would find interesting, amusing, sensible or worthy of someone else's time.  She promised me there would be no pressure and that I could write on anything. I am humbled by her request.  So grab your cup of joe, or "mommy" juice and lets chat... Thank you for spending time with me and listening to my ramblings!

I decided to title my guest posts "Oh What A Life..."  Since this is my first post and I don't know most of you, I thought I would do an introduction of sorts.  I promise you I am just like you, a least in most ways. If you are reading this, chances are, you are a woman, so am I, and you are a mom, or so will be, I am also a mom.  We do everything.  That just about covers it don't you think? Thats only part of the story. I am married to Tritia's younger and only brother. I am so blessed to be married into this family. From day one-- I have been treated like a daughter and sister!  I love my in-laws.  I realize now, not many people can say that about their spouse's family.  If that is one of you, I am truly sorry. 
 
For my first post as a way to get to know me, I thought I would give you a glimpse into my life. I am a SAHM of two boys.  They - along with their father - are the loves of my life.  My boys are sweet,  most of the time, that is not to say we haven't had our share of moments where we wished there was a return policy.   If we are all being honest, come on now, we have all thought that at some point for a split second.   My boys consume all my energy.  Yet they are God's gift to me.  I love them dearly.  My oldest is two and a half years old and his name is Jackson.  Nineteen months later came his younger brother-- Colton. He just turned one.  We live in a suburb of Los Angeles. Having two kids pretty close together has had its challenges, hurdles and moments - or more than a few moments - of insanity.   But now it feels like I've made it safely to the other side!  
 
{ The Whole Burns Family}
 
This past year, my husband kept saying to me, "its just a season."  It would drive me bonkers, and even make me frustrated at times.  But in hindsight, and I can admit, that he was right.  When you have a new baby or add siblings, things are going to change. They change from one kid to the next.  They just are.  Sometimes I think we all expect everything to stay the same.  As many of you probably know or have experienced, lots of things will change, from how you did things, your day-to-day and even your marriage will change. Hopefully they will all change for the better, but expect some hiccups along the way.  There were many, many sleepless and tireless nights. 


{Colton's First Birthday}
As I write this, I'm reflecting on this past year and giving thanks.  We just celebrated Colton's 1st birthday!  Oh what a glorious day that was!  Yes, thankful for his life. Thankful that we made it.  Two kids. Two boys. We did it.  We had to celebrate!   We threw a big party ( much to my husband's chagrin)... ok... 2 parties in 2 different countries.. cause thats how I like to do it.  I am only kidding. We had a party with all our friends and family here in Los Angeles and another party in Canada where I am from, with my family on his actual birthday cause we happened to be visiting.  If you know me, you know I love a good party.  I am a firm believer in celebrating life's moments-- big and small. Your first birthday is pretty momentous!  Thats 365 days of firsts!  First smiles, first time they slept through the night, first tooth, first words, first foods, first crawls, first steps.    I was thankful for him on completing 365 days of life and living out his first year, but also  WE SURVIVED and Now I'm Free! "THANK. GOD. ALMIGHTY. I'M. FREE. AT. LAST! "  I had my kids pretty close together so for the first time in 3 years, I wasn't pregnant or nursing.   WOW!  It was time to throw back a cocktail and celebrate!  It was a time to be truly thankful and celebrate all those moments, all that we learned, all that we shared, all the firsts.   It was also a great reminder that this was in fact "just a season." There will be many seasons in life, some easier than others. With seasons, there comes growth, times of learning, times of hardship, and - a time to rejoice. 

"For everything there is a season, a time and a purpose under heaven." (Ecclesiastes 3:1).

Love,
Carolyn

 

1 comment:

Annamarina said...

Beautiful post Carolyn!! Loved reading it and can't wait to read more of your guest posts :) XOXO

Post a Comment